That's Right - AM Radio Daddio

Heaven help me I've started listening to old-fogey radio stations. Make that AM old-fogey radio stations.

Driving home from work the other day I became bored with the FM offerings. KOOL 108 the "oldies stations" wasn't doing it for me. They have about 75 songs that they play over and over. Their play list is a little too heavy on Neil Diamond for my tastes. Cities 97 always confuses me: they will play a wonderful song (new or old) but then follow it up with Phil Collins. Cities 97 confuses me anyway. I fear I've grown out of their demographic: I can no longer tell the difference between Norah Jones, John Mayer, and the like. And the fact that they play Pearl Jam's cover of the 1950's tear-jerker "Where, Oh' Where Can My Baby Be" confuses me all the more. Is Pearl Jam serious, or are they making some sort of ironic statement? Doesn't matter as I never liked the song. KQRS 92.5 has it's moments, once you get past its moronic morning show. The DJs who appear through-out the remainder of the day are just fine - they actually lack personality - probably an attempt to make up for the overwhelming nature of Tom Bernard and the "Morning Crew".

Public Radio is usually my saving grace, but since it was after 6:00 p.m. my favorite KFAI 90.3 had ended it's musical programming and was in its news-hour. Interesting at times, but a bit too far to the left for my liking - Pacifica Network or something. 91.1 - KNOW - was in the middle of one of it's 10 minute spots on migrant workers or somesuch. I was lost, adrift, with nowhere to turn but AM. Good old scratchy AM. The kind of radio that fades/statics out under bridges.

After searching around the dial - lots of right wing talk and religious programming, I settled on KLBB. The drive time show (3:00 - 7:00 p.m.) is called the "Cool Club" or some such thing. They were playing Dean Martin, Peggy Lee, Nat King Cole. You could almost hear the ice cubes clinking in the Hi-Ball glasses and smell the smoke in the lounge. Very soothing, a little heavy on the strings, but good fun nonetheless. They even have less "advertising" than Public Radio. Perhaps it's nostalgia for a bygone era. Perhaps its the fact that I grew up in a 1953 Rambler, and now own a 1958 Rambler style house. I really dig that 1950s era music. Nothing too loud, great singers singing the standards, not much "attitude" (or so it seems now - this was the era of the Rat Pack after all).

Perhaps it's just a phase I'm going through, or perhaps a phase I'm growing into? Either way, KLBB 1400 AM now has it's own button on the radio.

Comments

Popular Posts