Father Tames Bugs

Kids and I went to the Summer kick-off event at the Roseville Library today. Lots of fun - but when isn't it fun to eat hot dogs, popcorn, ice-cream, and lemonade at 10:45 AM while sitting on a curb in a parking lot! Dad steered clear of the hot-dogs - I usually stay away from beef by-products until after noon.

Signed up for the summer reading program, prizes after reaching 8 and 20 hours of reading (or being read to in Bone's case). Much fun inside the library as we watched the show of "Bruce the Bug Guy". The guy really knows how to work an audience. The best part was when he puts three bugs each in a series of tupperware containers and places them on the floor for a little audience participation. Everyone just stared as we sat gathered around our creepy dish. All the kids claimed they wanted to touch the bugs but didn't actually dare to take their hands out of their laps. The two moms in my circle were supportive, but offered no help. (One actually kept quite a brave face as it looked like she might faint at any minute.) As you may have guessed, your hero, stepped forward and picked up the giant millipede. This little lovely was dark brown, measured about 6 inches long, and was about 1 inch in circumfrince. With 248 legs (according to Bruce)it looked like a cigar come to life. It tickled as it worked its way up my hand to my wrist, then my arm. Doddy wanted to try, so I gently pulled the critter off - the legs gently popping off my skin - he really had a grip! The Dude did a pretty good job and seemed to enjoy himself. Eventually the other kids warmed to the occasion and "petted" the little monster.

Having mastered the millipede, I just had to try the "Hissing Cockroach" - so named because when alarmed it hisses - I kid you not. Of course if lived up to its name when I lifted him from the dish, hissing at me and the kids as if on cue. Very cool! This guy was a little creepy, about 4 inches long! No one really like this guy.

A few minutes after the bug show I made the mistake of licking my finger tip to turn a page (it's a library after all). I wish I could say it tasted like chicken. It didn't - very bitter - very bitter.

Comments

Popular Posts