Rhubarb, Rhubarb, Everywhere

Today's NYT article article on rhubarb, has cousin Blair musing over his own love of the stalk.

Have I mentioned that I absolutely adore rhubarb? No, probably not. Every summer, my grandfather would harvest what seemed to be a neverending supply of rhubarb from one of his gardens. Then, my grandmother would take these simple stalks and produce strawberry-rhubarb jam, strawberry-rhubarb sauce, rhubarb sauce, the occasional strawberry-rhubarb pie, rhubarb bars, and so forth.

Blair's grandfather and grandmother are my godparents, the incredible aunt/uncle duo of Myrtle and Ole.

H and S, with a little help from the Dude, picked rhubarb from the farm this weekend. We came home with a 40 lb bag of the stalks, some almost 3 feet in length. Add this to the never-ending supply in our own yard, and that's a lot of rhubarb. So far this year we've had rhubarb sauce, rhubarb bars, rhubarb torte - and probably a few others I overlooked.

Forget the "beer belly". Is it possible to get a "rhubarb belly"?

Comments

Popular Posts