Blogging Academic Jobseekers Beware

The Chronicle of Higher Education has some words of caution for blogging academic job seekers:
The pertinent question for bloggers is simply, Why? What is the purpose of broadcasting one's unfiltered thoughts to the whole wired world? It's not hard to imagine legitimate, constructive applications for such a forum. But it's also not hard to find examples of the worst kinds of uses.

A blog easily becomes a therapeutic outlet, a place to vent petty gripes and frustrations stemming from congested traffic, rude sales clerks, or unpleasant national news. It becomes an open diary or confessional booth, where inward thoughts are publicly aired.

Worst of all, for professional academics, it's a publishing medium with no vetting process, no review board, and no editor. The author is the sole judge of what constitutes publishable material, and the medium allows for instantaneous distribution. After wrapping up a juicy rant at 3 a.m., it only takes a few clicks to put it into global circulation.


While I work in a non-academic setting, I have seen the rise in applicants "sharing" just a bit too much about themselves in job interviews. Several folks I've interviewed have included their own personal site (blog or not) on their resume or cover letter. Most have been pretty "tame" - nothing outrageous, no "red flags" raised - yet.

I myself have only applied for one position during my blogging career. I did mention in the cover letter (and interview - I think) that I blogged. I did not include the url or mention the blog name. The job involved managing writers/developers of web sites, so I wanted to appear "in touch" with the field - which is the only reason I mentioned my blog.

On a related note, a new "best practice" around here is to Google applicants. So far I've found one or two embarassing wedding photos - partying bridesmaids, etc. and one disbarred attorney. The partying bridesmaid was hired - she was a great employee. The disbarred attorney was not - since he neglected to inform us he was disbarred. Once you've been disbarred I guess there is nothing to prevent you from lying on a job application - sort of a slippery slope.

Comments

Popular Posts