Sad, Sadder, Saddest

This is just sad. I was angry at first, but after blasting away on the topic in Word (not Blogger because I feared posting my initial anger), it comes to this.

St. Paul police Sgt. Gerald Vick had a blood-alcohol level of 0.20 -- twice the legal limit to drive -- when he was shot to death while working undercover last Friday on the East Side of St. Paul, police officials said late Thursday.


We (and I mean the greater Minnesota community) just gave this officer a hero’s funeral. Now it turns out he was drunk on duty. This raises several questions: How much did the drinking impair his judgment that night? Was he even “working”? Early reports said he was serving a warrant, but those reports fell off the news within hours. Was this just a barroom fight with this murderer?

Granted – the fact that the victim was drunk (2x the legal driving limit in MN) is not a defense that the killer can use. But – I feel somehow betrayed. I teared up listening to the reports of his funeral on MPR. As I drove home from work listening to reports of his funeral and burial on MPR, I saw at least one hundred cop cars from all over the state heading south (home) on 35E. I got a little choked up. Now I’m just pissed off - and saddened.

Don’t get me wrong: One of the good guys was killed by one of the bad guys. But dammit, don’t mess with my emotions. The story has gone from fallen hero dies in line of duty, to cop shot while drunk on duty.

Comments

Popular Posts