Ratzin' Fratzin' Phone

The old expression, "my better half", used when referring to one's spouse - usually the wife - comes to mind this morning.

S was out at "book club" last night. That meant I was home alone with the kids and THE PHONE.

While S never listens to the messages, I couldn't resist. It's like a scab I can't resist picking.

I listened to two very nice messages (kudos to those folks) and then thought I'd like to change my voice mail. Those who left messages seemed a little "challenged" about telphone operation. They apologize for the confusion, sympathize with our plight, but tell us they are calling the number displayed on their caller ID.

I started by leaving a message clarifying whole long distance concept - you know, you must dial a one before calling the numberr. I never get my message right the first time, so I tried a few variations - settling on a message that contained the name and phone number of the VP of the Pisa Group, urging folks to call her. (She had promised the problem would be taken care of.)

S arrives home, and inform her of my actions, and she does not approve of my leaving the name and number of the telemarketers since we had not "warned" them we might take this action. -- Honestly, I don't know where she gets the patience. - - I go off in a huff to change the message again.

Since our message "administration" menu is a bit of challenge to me, press 4, then press 1, then press 3, then stand on one leg while reciting the message, or something - it took me about 4 times to get the thing right. Needless to say I was pretty worked up about the whole mess. It took me about an hour and half to calm down enough to fall asleep, and I woke up every hour after that.

I don't know why this particular incident (THE PHONE MESS) bothers me so much. Perhaps it comes at a bad (or perhaps goood) time in my life. I'm finally getting the whole MOOD thing under control. Off Zoloft about one month, feeling much more energetic and in control. Starting to lose the weight I gained on Zoloft. (I forgot that I jumped about 8 to 10 pounds in the first few months of that med a few years back), and generally feeling much more in control. Along comes something over which I have little or no control. The only control I can exercise is changing my phone number, or dropping the landline service altogether, and going 100% cell. That strikes me as a surrender of sorts to the telemarketers.

Comments

amy said…
I say PUT THE DARN VP's name on there!!! SHe promised the problem would be taken care of...and it's frickin' Friday. ENOUGH SAID!!!

Popular Posts