Spoke Too Soon

I jinxed myself by posting yesterday about feeling better.

When I woke up at 12:30 a.m. to let the dog out (same time two nights in a row - hmm), my wrists hurt. Figured maybe I had been sleeping on them - but didn't give it much thought.

This morning, I awoke at 6:15, my wrists still hurt, along with my ankles - and I was covered with some odd pin-point rash - complete coverage on arms and torso, going down to my legs. It was difficult to grip things - and my thumbs (especially my left one) didn't work well at all. Opposable thumbs are critical to one's morning routine - and most of life.

Decided to have the doctor check it out. He called it viral arthritis. We checked for strep - negative. While they were working under the hood so-to-speak, they decided to add a few more procedures, drawing blood to check my (low) vitamin D levels (awaiting a call and lecture about taking supplements), and of course they gave me a flu shot*.

Not much to do but treat the symptoms. I went to Rainbow for a few groceries and some benadryl. Lots of fun - as I hobbled around the store on my arthritic ankles. It seemed to be senior citizen morning at the store, and I fit right in. (Note to self - those self check-out lines are all open when the average of the shopper is 70!)

So now - 6 hours later, full of benadryl and ibuprofen, the rash has subsided some, the joints don't hurt, but they still don't work well. Napping on the couch, reading, blogging, etc.

*About the flu shot - I expect the side effects to kick in soon. Every time I get a flu shot, I come down with flu-like symptoms later in the day. I've stopped getting them when they are provided free at work because I always end up going home sick. The side-effects or symptoms are short lived - should pass by morning. I'm not looking forward to another weekend of Ultimate Santa at less than 100%.

Comments

Popular Posts