Use (or Don't) Use Voice-Mail

Here's some interesting advice from the Brazen Careerist:
2. Don't use voicemail.

It's slow, you can't file it, people leave inaudible phone numbers on it, and reception is bad everywhere you need it to be good. Train people to not expect you to answer your phone and they'll stop calling.

Answer emails fast and answer voicemails after someone calls twice. It's rude, but you can be extra nice in email to make up for it.



This one is eary for me. I work in a very email-intensive environment. I hardly ever make phone calls, and seldom leave or receive voice mail. The only problem with the email-only approach is that it allows some people to avoid responsibilty and allows for certain types of passive-aggressive behavior.

Despite my mastery of email, I find I get things done more effectively if I can just talk to someone in person. Lately, I've taken to calling first (before drafting an email). If the person doesn't answer, then I email - I don't leave a voicemail.

Comments

Popular Posts