New Toilet Seal - Again

[Note the damp wood.]

Time to replace the toilet seal. I did it a few years ago - but it was that time again. For some reason, probably due to the conversion from old, clunky toilet to a newer sleeker model that uses less water per flush, the floor beneath the toilet is part tile, part wood. The prior owners probably pulled the old one and found untiled floor beneath. Rather than adding additional tile, they put down plywood. After we lived here for a year or two I noticed the wood was getting damp. In addition, the grout between the tiles was damp. I replaced the toilet seal - and the wood flooring. That time it took 2 days - I was such a novice.

[Mid-job]

This time, I didn't wait for the wood to get too damp. I just pulled the toilet sooner, and was rewarded with a dry sub-floor. The wood was the only wet part.

[Another riveting mid-job photo.]

Next time - assuming there will be a next time - I will re-tile.

Total elapsed time: 4 hours - and one trip to home depot. Damn - those toilets are heavy.

[Ta-da, finished.]

Comments

Popular Posts