Anniversaries


Visited the family grave site today at Fort Snelling national cemetery. Today marks the 6th anniversary of my Dad’s death – also the 48th anniversary (plus one day) of my brother’s death. We used to go to the cemetery on a regular basis when I was growing up – to visit my brother’s grave. We lived in Richfield, so I suppose we are about 3 miles away. Having an infant brother die three years before I was even born had no impact on me as a kid. Going to the cemetery was just something we “did” – though I recall that you could not say “No” when the trip to the cemetery was announced.



It was only after having children of my own, that the full impact of my brother’s death hit me. I knew my Mom and Dad struggled to have kids for many years. To have your first child day, only 24 hours after birth – I really don’t know how they went on living – let along trying to have children. I know they had the baby’s room all ready to go. I believe they just kept the entire thing intact until I came along in 1962. Amazing! I’m glad they did.



I feel bad that I haven’t visited my Dad’s grave in over a year. I used to go a lot when the kids were little. Then the kids will follow you anywhere, you just told them you were leaving the house, and they wanted to go. Now it seems such a big production to bring them. Why I fell out of visiting on my own, I don’t know. I can communicate with my Dad without visiting the grave itself.

Comments

Popular Posts