Politics + YouTube

Combining the subjects of my two most recent posts - Politics and YouTube - I'd like to direct your attention to yesterday's Future Tense spot on MPR.

Internet videos may have played a part in the defeat, or apparent defeat, of several prominent candidates, including Senators George Allen of Virginia and Conrad Burns of Montana.

This got me thinking. I'm not ready to say that all politicians will abandon their expensive TV ads in favor of home-grown YouTube-like productions, but it does open new possibilities for those candidates not associated with one of the major parties - or those who don't have a lot of money.

Granted, not all voters look to the internet for their political news - yet. But through a campaign web site and sympathetic bloggers your home-made video ads could get a lot of play. It's sort of a viral marketing approach to campaigning.

I know that's what I'd do if I was running. Don't worry S, I'm not even thinking about it.

Comments

Popular Posts