Of Course I Voted

Vote experience – I showed up at coffee break time – the first judge was not there, so her colleague had to look up my name. Just then the judge shows up, confirms my name and asks me to sign on the line. While I’m signing, she turns her back to pour coffee from her thermos. When she turns back to face me, she didn’t seem to remember that she had already looked up my name and asked me to sign. I reminded her we had completed those steps. She was OK with that, and gave me the little slip of paper to take to the other judge for the ballot.

I arrive at the table to receive my ballot just as that judge stuffs half a muffin into her mouth. She hands me the ballot and mumbled the instructions through her muffin

After that I was on my own in the voting booth – without the benefit of coffee or muffins. It was over in minutes – a rather painless process.

Note to Hobbled Wife – I “threw” away my vote by voting for the Independence Party candidate for Governor. That’ll show them – message sent!

MPR played a nice commentary from our friend John Doan – whose son attended preschool with our Dude. John spoke of his family’s history in Viet Nam, his arrival in America, and reflected on why voting and democracy was important to him. Unfortunately 10 minutes is all I have to spend looking for the darn link on the MPR site. Perhaps you will have better luck yourself.


One final “item” (rant – if you will): Yes, I voted, but I’m not wearing my little red “I Voted” sticker. I’m always slightly embarrassed wearing the sticker. Perhaps it’s my Norwegian modesty. It goes without saying - - of course I voted. Maybe we should ask those who don’t vote to wear an “I Won’t Vote” sticker?

Comments

Popular Posts