Only for Minnesotans - How to Merge in Traffic

Apparently all the Minnesota-Nice doesn't really help matters any when it comes to the issue of how to merge when you see that a traffic lane is ending (due to construction).

This is very interesting:

That's because merging early makes the backup longer. When we use both lanes until the actual merge point and then take turns the backups are shortened by as much as 35 percent.


My only experience with "better" merging came in California - San Diego. When 2 lanes went down to one, I noticed that everyone waited until the last moment to merge. At first I thought, "How impolite", but then I saw that it really worked!

Although just yesterday I tried this (merging late) when entering 35E. The minivan that I merged in front of got VERY ANGRY, and turned on its high-beams. Given that it was dusk (5:00p.m.) and misty, the high-beams didn't help matters at all - - if not for my superior driving skills it could have caused a crash - - though I suspect it made the mini-vanner feel smug.

Source: MNSpeak.

Comments

Popular Posts