Back Again

Been very busy lately – and too stuffed with Turkey – to blog. Here are some highlights from the kids’ lives, since my own life has been rather dull as of late.

The Dude last night, “Why do Churches have so much to do with Christmas?” Oh it would have been a great opportunity to educate him on the “true meaning of Christmas”, but since we had just watched Charlie Brown’s Christmas special, and had heard Linus deliver the story, I decided not to go too deep. I reminded him that Christmas is centered around the birth of Jesus.

His comeback, “But why December 25? How can they really know Jesus was born on that date.” I admitted that the actual birth date is open for historical speculation, but told him that this is the historically agreed upon date. I didn’t get into the whole B.C./A.D. year designation – and how I once heard that Jesus (the “Historical Jesus”) was probably born in 4 B.C. – rather than the famous “Year Zero”.

I also avoided the entire pagan roots of Christmas discussion – I was trying to get the kid to sleep after all!

Educational Update: The Dude is participating in a “Great Books” program for 1st/2nd graders – really – I’d never heard of such a thing, but sounds like fun and he is looking forward to the challenge. Finally, some enrichment – though interesting how it doesn’t quite fit into the usual school day routine. The sessions are lead by a parent volunteers, and he has to miss the valuable morning “snack/recess” time to participate.

M also misses “snack/recess” on Mondays because she is in Orchestra.

Comments

Popular Posts