Isn't It a Pity

I was reading about Harriet Meirs today and thinking it's like an accident. You slow down, you say you won't look, but you can't help gawking. I was thinking about the upcoming nomination hearings and beginning to feel anxious for her, hoping she doesn't get too embarrassed, when I suddenly realized how wrong that was.

Daniel Drezner had the same thoughts:

I'm actually beginning to feel pity for Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers --- and this is not a good thing. I'm feeling the same way about Miers that I feel when I go to a job talk and recognize within five minutes that there is no chance in hell that this person is going to be hired.

It now seems well nigh impossible to find anyone of substance willing to say anything really positive about her nomination. Finding negative things, on the other hand, is pretty damn easy.


Or in the words of Ann Althouse: "Once people have decided you're dumb, pretty much everything you say sounds dumb."

Comments

Popular Posts