It Was Twenty (40) Years Ago Today

This month marks the 40th anniversary of the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album. I’m not going to make any great claims about the album, or how it revolutionized the music world. I’m sure it revolutionized the “pop – Top Forty” world, and influenced how musicians wrote and packaged songs for years to come, but I don’t know if we will attach the same significance to this one record 100 or 200 years from now.

I enjoy most of the songs from Sgt. Pepper but my favorites are some of the lesser played songs on the album/disc – Lovely Rita Meter Maid, Getting Better, and Fixing a Hole.

Here’s an interesting story about the “real” Lucy of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds fame. As for the drug references, and questions of the song’s origins, I say both apply. I believe John wrote the song based on the picture, but he also probably immediately saw the drug connection in the picture. He'd probably already seen people in the sky with diamonds – or something similar – during his various chemical experiments. It all came together in a song, while the picture gave him an innocent "out" when questioned about the LSD origins of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.

Comments

Popular Posts