Whew! - I'm Alive

Wow - feeling better this morning, thank you very much. Didn't think I was going to make it. Let me explain.

I received a flu shot Friday morning before work. After that I enjoyed a productive day at the office. Sometime between 8:00 and 9:00 p.m., I was hit by a "truck". Went to bed around 10:00 and my teeth were chattering, my body ached all over, I was exhausted - but I couldn't fall asleep.

By 1:00 a.m. my temperature was 99.5. Then the panic set in.

As I lay there I thought, "Oh my god, I'm going to be the next Minnesotan to die from the flu." Or worse, "I'm going to be the first Minnesotan to die from an adverse reaction to the flu shot."

A million thoughts were spinning around my head:

  • What hospital would I go to? Should I call my health plan 800 number to get that information?
  • I should just drive to the ER now because in a few hours I won't be able to, and those ambulances are so disruptive to sleeping neighbors when they arrive in the middle of the night.
  • I should call my sister-in-law (she's a nurse practitioner) she would know what to do - - but it was 2:00 a.m. when this one came to me, and I didn't think she would appreciate the call.
  • Maybe I should go downstairs and dig around in the recycling for that information sheet about the flu shot that I received at the doctor's office? - - Aha - one side effect is fever and aches - hmm - could be.
After taking two Ibuprofen, I finally fell asleep - - and enjoyed some very wild dreams. I awoke at 8:00 a.m., and I felt fine.

Whew! - that was close.

Comments

Popular Posts