"New" Blogger/San Diego

Well, I finally took the plunge, and signed for the "New Blogger". I admit I was becoming tired of Google's greeting me as an "Old Blogger" simply because I hadn't taken the plunge and come over tothe "new" side.

[Hey - it has that built in spell-check feature. It underlines words that I misspell. I'm sure I'll never get tired of that feature.]

Back from San Diego where I learned it's possible to get from the heart of down-town to the airport in about 7 and 1/2 minutes!! - - but only if your cabbie drives like a maniac, and you hit every green light (he was quite amazing!).

[Wait - Google/Blogger does not recognize my use of the term "cabbie" - it's underlining it in red - though I suspect you can't see it. Perhaps "cabbie" is out of vogue. Is there a more politically correct term? Have we reverted to "hack" or "hackie"?]

Funny (?) San Diego stories: Did you know that most hotels are not set up to accommodate a convention of people who use wheelchairs? Sure, they accommodate them in the legal (Americans with Disabilities ACT) sense, but when several hundred people in wheelchairs descend on a hotel, and the elevators only hold about 3 wheelchairs at most, it's a long wait. Upon checking in, I ended up walking up 9 floors carrying two bags - great exercise - the "people's stairmaster" I like to call it.

Upon the suggestion of my father-in-law, I had dinner at Croce's - an eatery in the gas-lamp district owned by the widow of Jim Croce. I was skeptical at first, but ended up having a good time - despite dining alone. Did you realize that you can have Jim Croce music piped in non-stop, but after the place gets really crowded you can't hear it anyway. Fun note, when I first arrived, the place was about half-full and several more rowdy customers were singing along with "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown." Almost walked out, but glad I didn't. Great swordfish, and I loved their "Winter Crisp" dessert - a sort of rhubarb and pear cobbler with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream - very nice! (menu)

Oh, and the business part of the trip went very well.

Comments

Popular Posts