Run Hobbled, Run Long

It may have all started with Run Gently, Run Long, by Joe Henderson, I checked it out of the junior high school library (excuse me, Media Center). Or perhaps it started with an informational meeting for kids interested in Junior High cross-country. Social studies teacher and Coach Duane Wold showed a movie – it was about a cross-country meet. In the movie (not video – were talking 1976 here) the runners traveled to the meet via subway, and ran a race in the city – probably NYC. Something about the movie struck a chord. It seemed so romantic; no equipment, hardly any rules, just running. Besides my good friend Paul C was going out – so I wouldn’t be alone. (Interesting aside, Paul has become something of a green roof expert.)

It was my first sport - - ever – no little baseball or anything up to that time. Run Gently, Run Long – I still remember the cover – I read the book over and over – throughout the years. In later years, I used it to try to get back my inspiration.


I was thinking of all the old running romance yesterday, when I stumbled upon Joe Henderson’s latest commentary. Lot’s of Joe’s commentaries these days are about injuries. He has some good advice to offer to say about running and injuries, but he knows his audience might not want to hear the advice he offers:


“I did what runners least like to do: rest more often. Took an extra day or two
off each week in order to run more and better on the other days. In fact, quit
thinking of running in weekly increments altogether and break it into smaller
segments.”

“At this age I don't have many new ideas. My searches
take me back to old ones that worked better than the recent plan.”

Looking on this from an objective (and arguably more realistic position) you have to ask yourself, Why do they continue to do this? Why subject yourself to such physical injury and pain. That pain is your body talking to you. Without any scientific studies to back me up, I’m going out on a limb, but I have to think THIS CAN’T BE GOOD FOR YOU – STOP NOW!

That’s probably why I stopped running – more days in recovery than days actually engaging in the exercise itself. It’s like an eating disorder – eating stuff you like, then purging yourself – then starting over again.

Perhaps I should write my own little book, Run Hobbled, Run Long.

Comments

Popular Posts