A Business Casual Tale

“Business Casual” is the official dress policy where I work. Don’t get me started on why we even need to tell adults how to dress at work. Business casual is best defined as what we don’t have to wear - no ties and coats. We do get “dressed up” for meetings with “outsiders” like customers or job applicants, but everything else is business casual.

Yesterday the management team met to review 2005 and lay out our plans for 2006. Never mind that it’s February already—what happened to January? That’s just how we do business.

Anyway, in attendance at this meeting were all the various managers - about 9 of us - the department Director, our HR manager and new HR Director, and our VP. Only two men wore ties - including yours truly. I hesitated at the closet that morning. I wondered, will the guys where ties? I decided they would, so I pulled the noose tighter. Imagine my surprise when I realize I’m only one of two tie-clad guys. Of course none of the women wore skirts or dresses - but I can’t speak for their fairer sex - they always look better than the guys.

I came away from the meeting wondering why I even try anymore. (Yes, it was that kind of day yesterday.) Today, I’m wearing a turtle neck sweater. To hell with ties?

As an aside, I should note that how one dresses still “counts” for something. On days where I “have to” get dressed up, I get a hearty “hello” from most execs I pass in the hall. They ignore me on the 80% of the days I where khakis, but when I’m sporting a coat and tie, everyone from Directors, VPs, and even the President of the company have said “hello” to me in the hall.

Comments

Popular Posts