Seize the Day



[Re-posting to add this first paragraph which was left off earlier.]

Duke had another seizure last night. That is his third seizure since arriving in the Hobbled Household. They have come – like clockwork – every two weeks. With that in mind, we can expect the next seizure on November 2 – voting day!

I feel bad about Duke’s latest seizure – as I should have been more proactive and prevented a nasty head banging that he suffered. I had just come up from the basement and found him frothing at the mouth in the kitchen. I knew exactly what was happening. After he froths for about 20 seconds, he loses control of his leg muscles and slowly drops to the floor. I helped him lie down – expecting the big seizure part to start any moment. What I did not expect was that his head would snap back violently and hit the kitchen cabinet. I should have been holding his head, but I wasn’t so he hit his head on the cabinet and drew blood at the corner of his eye. He probably has a “black eye” today – but you can’t see it under all the fur. Being a veteran of two dog seizures I knew he would also lose control of his bladder, so this time I laid some dish towels on him to reduce the mess.

The entire episode lasted about 50 – 60 seconds maybe. Then he just laid there staring at us, too tired to get up, but not falling asleep. Within about 10 minutes he was up and outside and almost back to normal.

Time to call the vet – again.

Comments

Popular Posts