Misty

I’ve been walking around all day singing Misty to myself. Misty is one of those songs that when I hear it – it takes several days to shake it out of my head. It’s an earworm.

Last night while driving home I was listening to Pete Lee’s Bop Street on KFAI – a Monday regular for me. As he often does, Pete was celebrating the birth of a famous pop icon. This time it was Johnny Burke who wrote the lyrics to Misty, along with a number of other classics in the American Songbook.

Lee often approaches his subject and their music from several angles, like celebrating Bobby Troup’s birthday by spending an hour or more playing every version of Route 66 he can get his hands on.

Yesterday was the day to celebrate the anniversary of the birth of Johnny Burke. Lee played several versions of Misty, including ones by Frank Sinatra, and another by Sarah Vaughn. Last night I was messing around on YouTube and came across this 1969 performance of Misty by Vaughn. It’s very good – and for those who enjoy the retro-style, I think that microphone just screams, “1969”.

Comments

Popular Posts