Late Memorial Day Post



Since we spent most of the actual Memorial Day at the Cabin, we made the delayed cemetery visit on Sunday. Ft. Snelling National Cemetery is huge (176,567 internments through fiscal year 2007 - according to the website) and the Hobbled Wife is always amazed I can find the graves as easily as I can.

I've posted on the cemetery and the graves of my father and brother before. visit before (link), so I don't plan to make this a long post. Last week was kind of a down week. Memorial Day is kind of a sad time, my parents' wedding anniversary was May 25, and Memorial Day is always close-by, followed by my Mom's birthday on June 2. Lots of Family action packed into a few days. I felt myself missing my Dad a lot last week so I dug out the old family home movies that we had transferred to VHS years ago. I wanted to watch the old movies just to see him, but my Dad was not a real camera hog, so he doesnt' appear too often. In the end it didn't work as it just made me sadder. This was the first time I felt a lot older when viewing footage of myself when I was about the same age as my kids. I guess 1972 was a long time ago.

Oh well, feel better now. The cemetery visit was fun. Thought I'd post a somewhat more amusing picture. The kids seem to enjoy wandering around and reading gravestones. Thought I’d post the “lighter” of the pics. Hope it doesn’t seem weird – maybe I should come up with a caption about two Johns – maybe I should have posed along with the Dude.

Comments

Popular Posts