Polar Camp

Beautiful day for Polar Camp at Camp Phillippo today.

Polar Camp is a Cub Scout "day camp" event involving lots of running around in the snow, playing games, and well - - running around and playing games. My suggestion for next year - a few less games with balls and teams, and a few more traditional scouting things - like learning winter survival tips, animal tracking, or other winter-camping or scouting things, anything but dividing up in teams and throwing balls at each other. After 1 and 1/2 hours of basketball Saturday (we won - but don't officially keep score), the Dude and I had our fill of competitive activities for the week. I realize some kids really get into physical games (not to mention the dads monitoring NFL football on their blackberries throughout the afternoon), but me, I'd rather watch birds or build fires.

With the temperature in the low 40s and the sun peaking out occasionally, the biggest problem was not staying warm, but keeping dry as we rolled in melting snow and generally sweated out day through a variety of activities. Our guys, Pack 150, were paired up with Pack 283 (very cool web site) for the day's festivities. Nice way to meet new kids and parents.

I didn't take the camera today (we really need two) so you'll have to believe me when I say that I showed great form on the snow tubing hill. Really - I only screamed once.

Comments

Popular Posts