Hobbled Wife - Guest Entry

Hobbled Wife making a guest appearance here on the Hobbled Runner. I figured you should hear about my day for a change...

Started out with a trip to a new ski trail. I made the trek to the venerable Elm Creek Park Reserve to check out the trails. This park is highly acclaimed for it cross-country ski trails. It also has a very very busy snowboard hill and tubing trail.... Only in Minnesota (maybe?) do they make snow for XC ski trails! I must admit the trails in that part of the park were wonderful. The outer trails weren't in as good condition, but hey, it's still snow, and we're pretty darn excited to have enough to ski this year! I did take a nasty spill and have a beautiful black & blue elbow to prove it. (sdmoose- we'll head over there next year!)

Next part of my day - Dude's school had the annual MLK celebration concert. They just concluded a year-long residency with two gamelan artists. I was not familiar with this type of Indonesian music, but it was pretty amazing. (You might ask why did they play Indonesian music at an MLK celebration? I believe the answer has to do with learning about diverse cultures. They really learned a ton.) The kids were totally engaged - and it was not easy music. This western-music trained ear was not able to follow it very well at all. The Dude really enjoyed learning the gamelan - he played big gongs. M said the when he played the big gong, she could feel it all the way through!

Next part: attended the Senior Recital for the neighbor kid down the street. Super nice kid. And super amazingly talented pianist (among other things.) I was truly overwhelmed by this recital. I was a bit late due to Gamelan concert (see above) so heard Beethoven's Emperor Concerto, a Ravel piece, "Gaspard de la Nuit", and Trois Mouvements de Petrouchka by Igor Stravinsky. We get to see him perform again in February when he plays the Emperor Concerto with the Minnetonka Symphony. I think someday we will be able to say we knew him back when....

And now - early to bed with a great book!

Comments

Popular Posts