Seen Any Good Movies Lately?


Wow - My colleagues at work tease me about how I never go to movies, but I've never gotten this treatment. Here Jeffrey Wells of Hollywood Elsewhere responds to a friend who didn't see the top films:

"movies are not supposed to be pills that you take to feel better. They're not travelling carnivals with elephants and jugglers. They're supposed to be aesthetic journeys and emotional hikes that get us in touch with things that too many of us tend to push away (or anesthetize ourselves from) in our day to day. They're supposed to be compressions and condensations that create indelible moments, insights and excavations into our collective soul.

"We're only here for 80 or 90 years, we need to figure some stuff out before we pass on, and good movies are part of the learning-and-realizing process.


The only new movie I saw this year - and the only one in a theater (I think?) was Nancy Drew. I highly recommend it, though it wasn't a compression or condensation that created an indelible moment.

Hat tip Kottke.

Comments

Popular Posts