Beware Business Jargon

A colleague shared this Business Week piece with me. I found it very interesting. Can't believe I'm agreeing with Suze Orman - who I've only seen for brief periods when they drag her out for Public TV pledge week - but she nails it:

Financial guru Suze Orman once told me, "People criticize simplicity because they need to feel as though the topic is more complicated. If everything were so simple, they think their jobs could be eliminated. It's our fear of extinction, our fear of elimination, our fear of not being important that leads us to communicate things more than we need to."


I've always suspected that most people use business jargon to make the mundane tasks of everyday business life sound so much more important. There's got to be some larger reason I commute one-hour per day to a large building with tinted windows so I can sit in a gray cube 8 to 10 hours a day, while outside the sun is shining, and my heavily mortgaged home (without cubes or tinted windows) sits unused.

Comments

Popular Posts