Kill the Chickens!

It’s been a while since I posted about funny drive-time conversations with my children. As they age, they tend to become more mature (alas) and our conversations are more mundane, revolving around school, homework, extracurricular activities, and so on.

Over the past few days, the Dude and I have discussed possible re-uses for the buildings at “the Farm” – the farm property near Vergas, MN still owned by my mother-in-law’s family. It’s about 1 mile from the Cabin, so we usually spend some time playing and working at the Farm when visiting the Cabin during warm weather months.

The Dude and I got talking about my wife’s uncle Bob, who passed away shortly after the Dude was born. He has no memory of Bob, but we talk about him from time to time. The Dude calls him "Bob the Builder" because he used to build things.

I related the story of the time Bob supervised the male cousins as we re-roofed one of the out-buildings on the farm. That led me to a discussion about how several buildings on the old Farm needed fixing up. Now the Dude has an idea.

He wants to raise chickens at the Farm this summer, so we can have fresh eggs. The interesting part of the story is this. I asked him what we would do with the chickens when the summer ended.

"At the end of the summer we'll kill ‘em and eat ‘em."

Very practical. He's not the least bit upset about this - - funny considering how sensitive he can get about things.

Comments

Popular Posts