Life's Lessons

Good lessons today from Business Pundit:

I always volunteered to do whatever needed to be done, and other employees would sometimes ask me why. "If they only pay me $4.45 an hour, that's all the harder I'm gonna work," they would say. I think just about everyone in the store told me that at some point or other. So I worked hard for $4.25/hr, on up through $5/hr, through $6/hr, and on into $6.50/hr and a position as shift manager. I guess the other employees didn't want to show they could handle shift manager responsibilities until they got paid shift manager wages.
. . .

It's funny that at the time I didn't feel like I was learning anything working in fast food. Looking back, it taught me quite a lot. I think most situations are like that if you keep your mind open and your eyes out for the learning opportunities.

So wherever you are in life, even if it isn't where you want to be, keep your chin up. Remember that good business lessons sometimes have unlikely sources, and all kinds of experiences can be good for you.


[Emphasis mine}

I’ve seen people who slack in one job while trying to get the next best job. They seem to think that people conducting interviews for the new job will know that this person's present gig is a “crap job” and that they would do better in the new, more important position.

Two lessons here: The folks making the hiring decisions for the "newer, better job", don’t assume you are a "diamond in the rough", just waiting for the new job to really shine. They assume that if you’re a slacker in job one, and you’ll be a slacker in job two. Oh - and for the most part, the employees never do better in their new positions.

Comments

Popular Posts