Ducks and Bathrooms

Have I mentioned the ducks? We have a mallard hen nesting in the Arborvitae under our picture window. I suspected something was up when she spent a great deal of time just hanging around our front yard. One morning when leaving for work I scared her out of the bushes.

On Sunday, while washing the windows I heard a hissing sound from the bushes. I looked round-and-round but couldn’t see anything until I got real close. There she was sitting on her nest. This time she didn’t move. She must have eggs. I stopped washing the windows - good excuse!.

Yesterday I got to worrying. How is she ever going to get the ducklings to water safely? We live about ½ mile from any pond. I don’t think they could make it that far without losing some ducklings. The Dude and I were discussing options when I hatched (no pun intended) a plan. Keeping in mind that this plan probably violates some sort of Federal Migratory Bird Act - I thought I’d put the ducklings into a box (that’s the easy part), then assuming the mother duck stays close by (hissing no doubt), I’d toss a blanket over her, and throw box and blanket into the back of the car and drive them to the pond. Would it work? Don’t know. Thought I’d better call an expert to check on the wisdom, practicality of this idea.

Imagine my surprise, while doing some online research for solutions, specifically looking for the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center in Roseville, I stumble on this from the Restroom Ratings site. Funny, and Yes, they are impeccable. The kids and I were visiting the Center a few years ago, it’s adjacent to the Harriet Alexander Nature Center, and as often happens with little kids, the Dude had to use the restroom. It was very clean, but if I recall correctly, the Dude complained about the smell of the cleaner — it had indeed been cleaned thoroughly.


More to follow on the ducks.

Comments

Popular Posts