Lame Ducks and Cedar Waxwings

During this 2 week period between jobs I am a lame duck. I pass the time helping my successor transition into my role, cleaning out both paper and electronic files, and starting nothing new. I’m under orders no to start any new projects - don’t want to burden my successor with any of my crazy schemes, let her come up with her own crazy ideas.

At 44, after several different jobs under my belt, I’m mature enough not to be bothered by the fact that I know my successor is going to do things differently than me. That’s one reason why change is good – new people seem old problems in a new light, and are willing to try new things. Good for everyone here. Likewise, I will bring a fresh perspective to my new role.

Promises/threats by new department to start using me before my official start date – by dragging me to meetings, etc. has not come to fruition. So here I sit, responding to the occasional email and counting the days.

Lame duck status gives me more time for walks over the lunch hour. And after missing a few days last week – it’s been a rainforest around here, I’m taking advantage of the nice weather to stretch the legs. Today I saw a small flock (really only 3 birds – is that a flock?) of Cedar Waxwings, flitting from a stand of trees over and across the walking path to drink (yuck) muddy water from one of the many puddles left by the recent rains. Hadn’t seen Cedar Waxwings that closely before - pretty little birds.

Comments

Popular Posts