The Morning Commute with Abe

This morning I drove to work with Abraham Lincoln. A little background: I received Doris Kearns Goodwin’s book, A Team of Rivals, for Christmas. Every night before bed I’ve been reading from this fascinating book. [Word to the wife’s “historical” colleagues - - Yes, I know Doris - the popular historian, blah, blah. Well, I’ve never read anything by her before and I’m really enjoying it.]

Anyway, I’ve got Abe on the brain. As I leaned forward to change the station, from MPR/NPR which was doing a profile of Maine Republican Senator Olympia Snowe, there was Abraham Lincoln sitting in the passenger seat. He held up his hand, and whispered, “No, wait a minute, don’t change it.” The piece was in the midst of a lot of political crap: Sen Snowe - the moderate Republican. White House uncomfortable, right-leaning interest groups don’t like her - predictable. Abe (this was 1840’s Abe) wanted to continue listening.

After the piece he had a lot of questions. First, I had to explain radio. We switched around to different stations. [Thank God the oldies station wasn't playing that horrible Dion song, Abraham, Martin and John.] He was quite amazed. Oh - and had to explain cars, etc. Abe was amazed at how fast we were going and that no one was getting into any "mishaps". He was interested in the Mississippi River when we crossed it on 35E. I pointed towards downtown St. Paul.

It was a very odd experience. It’s been a long time since I’ve had these “driving dreams” when someone else is with me and we are holding a conversation.

Comments

Popular Posts