Frogs in January

Just read this on my birding listserv:

While birding in meadows and fields in Ramsey County in the Twin Cities on Saturday, January 28th, we came across a small frog hopping in the tall grass. I would estimate snow coverage to be about 15% in this area. Later, around 12:30 PM, we heard two brief but unmistakable trills from Western Chorus Frogs. How common is this, Frogs in January?


About 2 weeks ago - when it hit 40 somthing, I saw a caterpillar crossing the walking path at work. It was going very slowly, no doubt enjoying what heat the black asphalt path provided. Yesterday, I saw a smushed ladybug on the sidewalk. Perhaps it died several months ago, and its final resting place was recently uncovered when the snow all melted, and it was then blown onto the sidewalk. But now that I read about frogs, perhaps it was alive yesterday, just moving too slow to avoid the foot of death.

The warmest January since 1846, according to a report I heard on MPR this morning. We've averaged something like 16 degrees above normal.

Comments

Popular Posts