Can’t Get Away From You - the ATM Blues

My relationship with my bank is almost a complete success—at least a success as defined by the banking big-wigs who hope that all interaction with the bank will be virtual. Don’t get me wrong; I enjoy online banking and all the convenience it offers. We pay bills online; my check is deposited directly into three different accounts. I transfer money online. It’s great. But why does bank still insist I return to the bank to withdraw money from their ATMs - if I want to avoid a service charge or fee?

Over time, the number of locations where I can withdraw cash from an ATM without fees has shrunk to 2 - the bank itself and SuperAmerica stations. [But since I am usually looking for cash during the morning or evening commutes, and SA is a zoo at those times, I like to avoid SA if at all possible. Sure I often gas-up at SA, but I pay-at-the-pump. It seems wrong to pay for the gas at the pump, then enter the damn store to get cash from the ATM.]

Sure, I can withdraw at any number of ATMs around town, but the fees vary from $2 to $4 last time I tried, and I stopped trying long ago. Shouldn’t they just make it “free” at any ATM? That would even allow them to reduce or eliminate the number of ATMs at their bank locations.

Perhaps they want to do away with cash altogether? Perhaps I'm one of those old dinosaurs (the 43 year old type) who still like to carry the green stuff around in their pockets. Younger people where I work put everything on their bank-card - and most don't even ask for a receipt (based on a very unscientific study of watching those in front of me in line). When I'm low on cash, and put lunch or coffee on a bank-card, I always ask for a receipt - which seems to either amuse or annoy the cashiers, depending on their mood.

Maybe I should just stuff it all in my mattress.

Comments

Popular Posts