Shake It Up Baby Now . . .

I sometimes think the only two things at kept me sane through adolescence were running and the Beatles. Running 40 - 50 miles a week, year-round, helped keep the adolescent hormones in check—for the most part.

The Beatles were another part of it. I listened to all their albums over-and-over, and read all the books - this was circa 1976 - 1980. Considering I hardly ever listen to them anymore, it’s amazing what I retain.

The e-mail exchange with a co-worker below illustrates what is “hogging” all the space on the old “hard-drive”. Scroll to the bottom to start.

________________________________________
From: John Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2005 2:28 PM
To: Scott
Subject: RE: T&S
I should lend you one of my tapes or DVDs so you can see them in action. T&S is a little confusing. The screaming is Paul - - he's always the screamer - - modeled after (one) of his idols - - Little Richard.

The way it usually works is during the Ahh, Ahh, Ahh "building" part of Twist and Shout, John starts with the first Ahh, then Paul with Ahh number 2, then George with number 3. As you probably recall, the Ahhs continue to build, and it's usually Paul (based on my video observations) who keeps contributing "new" Ahhs. I even saw Ringo join in once, but he usually has his microphone trained on his drum kit, so you don't actually hear him.

Sharing Vocals: John and Paul actually share a lot of vocals - usually for parts of songs. I Saw Her Standing There for example, it's Paul's lead, but John joins in on the "bridge" or whatever they call it - - "Well my heart went blue, when she crossed that room, and I held her hand in mine" - - then Paul takes over, "Well we danced through the night, etc. " Then they sing together on the "And I saw here standing there" part.

Probably more than you needed to know.

John

________________________________________
From: Scott
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2005 2:19 PM
To: John
Subject: RE: T&S
Hmmm.

Now that is interesting.

I never really cared who had the lead until the other day. At first I thought it was John, and then I thought I heard John's distinctive voice doing back up.

So they don't share any lead vocals?

In addition to thinking I heard John on background, the lead vocals sound like some of Paul's screaming on other songs like I saw her standing there.

________________________________________
From: John (West)
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2005 2:09 PM
To: Scott
Subject: RE: T&S
I don't know if Paul has ever performed it solo/live. After all, it's a "John Song" - he has the lead.

Twist and Shout was recorded at the end of the Please, Please Me session (their 1st British album). They had already been in the studio about 12 hours, and John who had a cold (listen carefully to Anna on that album - very nasally - even for a Liverpudlian) was losing his voice. Legend has it they did in in one take.

Here's a cool link to information about the song, including "blooper" style trivia. http://www.stevesbeatles.com/songs/twist_and_shout.asp

Examples:

1:19 * NEW *
In George's solo, he carries one too many strings on the downstroke of the third pass through the riff. I've always liked the chord that this accident makes :)
1:25
Careful study of Paul's first "aaah" will show that half way through the pitch flattens slightly.



________________________________________
From: Scott
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2005 8:33 AM
To: John
Subject: T&S
I was listening to Twist and Shout the other day, and the vocals are pretty impressive.

I wonder if Paul ever performs this any more?

Scott

Comments

Popular Posts