Hummingbird Moth

Went out to get the paper about 5:50 a.m. When I bent down to pick up the paper, something caught my eye. A large moth - looked almost like a hummingbird - was buzzing about the phlox, and sipping nectar (or whatever one finds in phlox). I'd heard of these before but never seen one, most likely a White-Lined Sphinx Hummingbird Moth.

Bird Field Guides sometimes reference them, because at first glance they appear to be hummingbirds sipping nectar from flowers. Upon closer inspection, this one appeared greyer (dustier - if that makes sense), and his wings seemed to be flapping slower - I could see the wings better than with a hummingbird - whose wings almost "disappear" they flap so fast.

Comments

amy said…
Hey....these are the darn things I studied while in Madison...sitting out at dusk waiting for these things to come and take nectar from white-fringed orchids. Lots of mosquitos!!!!!!!!!

Popular Posts