Wednesday, February 02, 2011

An Urbane Researcher?

The departure of colleagues sometimes presents the opportunity to inherit stuff they deem too important to throw away, but not important enough to take with them.

The kitchen/vending area near my cube has become the place for departing employees to deposit these “valuables”. Lately I’ve seen a number of old promotional items like pens and mugs, 3-ring binders and books, and last week I spotted a half-eaten box of Triscuits.

I seldom take anything from the pile. I don’t need any more stuff and it feels a bit like grave-robbing. But this week a few items caught my attention. The person “moving on” must have been with the company for some time. I found:

• Two coffee mugs promoting “old” products.

• A three ring binder for a product I’d never heard of – and it’s one of those cloth bound three ring binders – one of the “good ones” in my opinion. Found it.

• And these two old books: The Lawyer’s Guide to Online Data Bases (1987) – I liked that two word approach: data – bases; and, The Modern Researcher (first published in 1957 – but this is the first paperback edition, 1962 – year of my birth).


The Modern Researcher claims to be, “An instructive and urbane manual on how to gather . . .” The fact that it was “urbane” sold me.

No comments: