Beatles – No End To What You Can Learn


[photo source]

Beatles - the band that just keeps on giving. Just when I thought I knew everything about the Fab Four, I stumble on to Ruth McCartney, step-sister of Sir Paul.

Now - don't get me wrong - I knew that Paul's dad had remarried - but I didn't know that his wife had a young daughter that the elder Mac adopted. Turns out she has her own career in show biz.

This one I literally stumbled upon while reading Terry Teachout who pointed to Anecdotal Evidence. There I scrolled down to a post about how poetry stops working when it stops singing.

Blogger Patrick Kurp quotes this from Thomas Dekker circa 1603:

“Golden slumbers kisse your eyes,
Smiles awake you when you rise:
Sleepe pretty wantons do not cry,
And I will sing a lullabie,
Rocke them rocke them lullabie.”


Sound familiar? Kurp points out that it's the poem the Beatles used for the lyrics in Golden Slumbers on Abbey Road.

From there I'm off to Wikipedia to learn more about the Beatles' tune Golden Slumbers, and the poet Thomas Dekker.

The Golden Slumbers post got me searching around for Ruth McCartney, and there you have it.

What I did before blogs - I'll never know. This whole adventure took under 5 minutes, and now I'm armed with more Beatles trivia not to mention a [very] little knowledge of Thomas Dekker.

Comments

Popular Posts