When "Negative" is "Positive"

The recent Blog hiatus has been due primarily to a busy family and sick kid.

After missing one day last week to a stomach bug (what we used to call the “Stomach Flu” – but which we all now know is not really the “flu” – etc.), he seems to have contracted strep throat. I say “seems” to because both the quick (5 min) test and the 24 hour culture came back negative – but we are treating him for strep anyway. A classmate did test positive, and he has all the symptoms. The wise old doc said that it “looks” like strep to him and advised treatment despite the “negative” test results.

That was yesterday – working from home. I used to think “working from home” was a cover for laziness, and for some I suspect it is. On the other hand, it’s amazing what you can get done between taking kids to doctors, running to the store for 7-Up (the miracle cure for upset tummies), and a load or two of laundry. Thanks (or no-thanks) to email and Blackberries you can do most everything from home – except fall asleep in meetings when they show PowerPoint presentations in a darkened room after a big lunch.

At home – I tend to focus more on the work task. Another interesting side effect – I drink less coffee – probably because I don’t need to stimulate (or reward) myself for sitting on my butt at a cubicle all day long.

Comments

Popular Posts