Watching the War

OK - I always say I'm not going to get caught up in the latest Ken Burns thing. How many times can you listen to famous actors reading soldiers' letters home, while old film footage runs in the background? But - for whatever reason, I fall for it every time.

Last night the Dude and I were watching together. You have to be careful, some of the footage is hard to watch for a 7 year old (and a 45 year old for that matter). He asked me why I was interested in the war. I told him that Grandpa (my Dad) had fought in the war. He had forgotten that.

As we were watching a particularly raging battle scene he said, "Grandpa did THAT?"

"Yes, I guess so," was my lame response. My Dad told me a number of stories - but not all of them I'm sure. I recall a few:

Sneaking through a German town, running from building to building, hiding in doorways so they wouldn't get picked off by German snipers. As they crept along, being careful not expose themselves, some little old lady steps out into the street and heads out across the town square laden down with bags like she was on her way home from the market. He recalled how the Americans just stopped and watched her. My Dad said that some of the Germans were so used to war that nothing stopped them from going about their "normal" lives.

As a kid I was always fascinated by my Dad'stories about his squad determined who would go first across open fields. Apparently sometimes it's just too much work to go around, but they didn't dare just send everyone across fearing snipers. My Dad often volunteered - as did other single guys without wives and families. The first time he crossed an open field, he went very slow, gun at the ready, dropping to the ground every time he thought he heard a noise. It took forever, but all was clear. Later on, he just walked across the open fields - he figured that he didn't stand much of chance if anyone was really waiting to get them anyway.

All this WWII stuff got me thinking. My Dad kept some pictures from the War. I might try to scan them and post them on the blog. We don't have the world's greatest scanner, but it's worth a try.

Comments

Popular Posts