Yes, I Judge Books By Their Covers

This got me thinking.

I often select books by their cover. I don't not “judge” the book by its cover, but it’s the cover art that first catches my attention.

Cover art is important to me for a number of reasons. I’m not a “fast” reader so the book is going to be sitting around the house for a while before I finish it (or even start). I want the cover to look good – it helps validate my selection. Yes, it makes me feel good about myself.

[Older cover art]

Let me illustrate with an example from Nero Wolfe. I love Rex Stout’s Nero Wolfe’s mysteries, and will root around the stacks at the library to get the “original” cover rather than the later covers – many of which were redone in the 1970s or 1980s. These later covers are just awful. I’d be embarrassed to be seen with it.

[“Newer” Art]

Needless to say, when deciding to read “Might As Well Be Dead” I chose the first cover shown - the more dark, noir-like art.

Comments

Popular Posts