Peekaboo - I See You

Johnny Googlequist – that’s what they called me in my old job. I got the moniker for always “Googling” job applicants. It’s become common practice these days – as this article in the New Scientist points out:
"You should always assume anything you write online is stapled to your resumé. People don't realise you get Googled just to get a job interview these days," says Callas.

Don’t know why my colleagues laughed – the Googling process takes only a few minutes, and while I uncovered mostly trivial stuff on over 90% of the candidates (lots of college and law school activities – school and social organizations), two items stand out:

The MySpace entry where the candidate said she “Hated talking on the phone” – our position required over 7 hours a day on the phone.

The disbarred attorney – We require bar admission.

What’s interesting about the New Scientist article is the discussion that the NSA will now “mine” this social data, just like they do phone calls. It really doesn’t bother me – I’ve never assumed one bit of privacy for anything posted on the web. It amazes me that others still do.

As Ann Althouse says about this subject:
There's also the problem of trying to make people care about the government listening in on phone calls when we walk around everywhere with our phones and talk in front of people all the time.

Comments

Popular Posts