Percolator - Oh Yeah

Anybody who enjoys Space Age Bachelor Pad Music has to drink coffee prepared in a percolator.

Staying home this morning with M - poor sickly kid. After dropping off the Dude at Pre-School (Camping Day today - backpack, sleeping bag, flashlight, and pj's), M and I stopped at Target to fill a prescription for Dad (not sick kid). While waiting 15 minutes, we managed to drop about $65 (not bad for Target). My latest cool purchase is a percolator. (Melitta JavaPerk Percolator)

My old Mr. Coffee Thermal Gourmet brewer just wasn't cutting it. In fact, it never cut it. It was cheap ($19.99), but it never really made hot coffee - warm yes, hot no. I don't need my coffee McDonald's hot, but I like to have to blow on it and sip carefully when first approaching the cup. Mr. Coffee denied me that experience. Mr. Coffee Thermal Gourmet had no warmer - it was built that way. I guess you shouldn't need a warmer when you brew hot coffee directly into a thermos. But, as mentioned above, it didn't make hot coffee. It made warm coffee fast - but I would easily sacrifice a few more minutes of brew time for coffee that started out hot.

Anyway percolators seem kind of retro. Someone blogged about them a few months ago - and it's been sticking in mind ever since. It's coffee the old fashioned way, it smells like old-fashioned coffee, and even sound like old-fashioned coffee. It has that cool percolator feature - the "glass" top where you can see you coffee "perking". Not as fast as old Mr. Coffee, but 10 minutes for 10 cups seems reasonable. And the taste - - AHHH, Mrs. Olsen would be proud. Oh - - did I mention hot? Yes, the cup steams for minutes when first poured. Almost too hot to drink. Yes!

Comments

Popular Posts