Bĕ'-bĕ-ka and “Chinese Wave”

Notes on observing the world through 4-year old eyes. This morning we were going to watch one of the Muzzy Spanish Language DVDs. The Dude said to me, “These DVDs are made by the bĕ'-bĕ-ka.”

"Who makes them?" I asked.

He repeated, "The bĕ'-bĕ-ka.”"

I had no idea what he was saying until he picked up the DVD and pointed to the “word” BBC – the British Broadcasting Corporation. The BBC created the Muzzy Language series. Never thought of trying to pronounce it phonetically like a word.

Later, while driving into work he says, “That man in the van just waved at you.”

“What van?” I asked.

“That white van back at the street we just passed.”

I looked in my rear-view and saw a white van waiting to enter the traffic. The driver was looking east into the sun. I asked for a little clarification. “How did this driver wave?”

“It was a Chinese wave.”

“A Chinese wave, what’s a Chinese wave? Can you show me?”

When I looked over my shoulder the dude brought his hand up to his forehead, palm out, lowered the hand over his brow and squinted – the Chinese wave. Otherwise known as the universal symbol of drivers attempted to enter traffic while squinting into the sun. It now has a name.

Comments

Popular Posts