Changing Seasons

[Yesterday's picture - a beautiful Halloween.]

My daughter is growing up before my eyes. It’s not just physical, though any time she wears shoes she’s as tall or taller than me. No, the growth I’m talking about seems linked to her getting a lead role in this Fall’s production of Urinetown: The Musical – as a freshman. She now spends a great deal of time with older kids – the kind that drive and have real boyfriends and girlfriends. There’s a lot going on. I’m not part of it.

Let’s call it maturity – with an edge.

I feel the distance when we are together in the same room. It doesn’t make me sad. It just feels more and more like two separate and distinct people – like me and some other adult.

As for the Dude, he and I went trick-or-treating with a friend yesterday. It was probably the last time out for me. If he goes next year, he can go on his own. He’ll be 12 years old and in 7th grade. Just remember to save some candy for Dad.

Comments

Popular Posts