Bah Humbug!


Sometime yesterday the theater bug bit me again. I had been telling myself for months that there was no way I could participate in the Rosetown production of A Christmas Carol. I simply didn’t have the time. But all that changed yesterday.

Why did it change? It hit me on the walking path yesterday as I walked along, grumbling about my lot in life. I came “this” close to veering off to the dark side, feeling sorry for myself and sliding into what looked to be a rather long-term mope. Instead, I thought – why not do something about it? Why not do something you really enjoy? Well – I enjoy community theater, and auditions are next Monday and Tuesday. It was a no-brainer.

For the audition I need a song (a cappella), recite a poem or Christmas story from memory, and do a dance – which they teach you that night. For the song I’m thinking God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen which I always associate with A Christmas Carol and happens to fall into my very limited vocal range. When I explained this to M, she said in a slightly derogatory tone, “Yeah Dad, the range is like ‘this’.’’ She was holding hands about 4 inches apart from each other. Sorry Miss M, not everyone can hit the E above high-C or whatever she can force her vocal chords to do. So, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen it is.

I’m stumped on the poem/story. Last night I was toying with the idea of reciting the Christmas story from Luke (King James Version) ala Linus in A Charlie Brown Christmas. It’s a bit cliché – but it seems simple enough. Maybe I could do it with a blanket draped over my shoulder – might help them remember me if a lot of 48 year old guys audition.

For the dance – well I’ll just say a short prayer and hope I don’t trip.

Comments

Popular Posts