More Bundt Cake Bliss


City Pages did a really nice story about Susanna - and her book. Most press that I've read covers the book in a sort of "Ya, You Betcha, we Minnesootans like our Bundt Cake" kind of way.

Dara Moskowitz Grumdahl's City Pages article also showcases Susanna in all her glory:

Years of creating a non-farm-girl adult identity followed, years when she went to sophisticated urban dinner parties with nary a Bundt cake in sight. She worked as a clinical social worker, adept at crisis intervention, often in domestic violence cases. Then came a brain aneurism, which by all rights could have killed her, but from which she miraculously recovered. Then came the Bundts. "It was like: I'm not dead!" Short said, laughing. "So it's time to celebrate myself. I realized: I went to college, I married a girl, and guess what? I like Bundt cake—that's who I am. Deal with it."

. . .

"It's funny, during the last presidential campaign, when all that nasty advertising [opposing gay marriage] was going on, this older man at my church came up to me and said, 'You know, Susanna, I want you to know, when I see you I never think, oh, there's the gay caterer. I think, oh, there's Betsy and Susanna. I wonder what sort of Bundt cake you're going to bring to the deacon's supper.'" Short paused and stuck a fork in the innocently simple apricot-almond pound cake she had baked for my visit. "That's Bundt cakes," she told me. "It feels great to do what I love and be who I am and not worry about what it is magazines think I should do."

Comments

julienj said…
Still waiting for my copy from your lovely wife :)

Didn't I read about Dara Moskowitz in the Carleton Voice?

Popular Posts