Popcorn, War, and Strep Throat – in no particular order of importance

It was a relaxing weekend of sorts around the Hobbled household. It was a rainy weekend which discouraged the sort of frenzied outdoor activities witnessed over the past two weekends. To make matters worse, I discovered that I have strep throat. That gave me an excuse to take it easy. I had been feeling crappy for several days, but since I didn’t have a fever or any great aches and pains – like the Dude – I thought I was in the clear. The Hobbled Wife talked me into visiting the MD and having a throat culture – and sure enough “Positive”.

Kids (and parents) are crazy about a “new” method of making popcorn. We discovered the recipe in Cooking Light magazine. Sorry – unable to link directly to recipe, but it’s easy enough to recreate: One half cup of popcorn into a paper lunch bag. Tape the bag shut, place the bag in microwave and cook for about 2 ½ minutes – or until the “pops” come about 5 seconds apart. I think what the kids liked best was when the bag exploded in the microwave (OK – ½ cup was too much, or the bad was too little – better use 1/3 next time). They also enjoyed melting the butter, and pouring it over the popcorn with salt. The kids refer to this as the “old fashioned way” of making popcorn. Yeah, right.

Spent some time at my Mom’s on Sunday, and started looking through some of my Dad’s old pictures from WWII. He has an interesting collection of Nazi propaganda photos – I think they were intended for use as postcards, though I’m not sure. These were “looted” (his words) from a large, abandoned German house. He and a buddy split a photo album, taking the propaganda shots, along with some personal photos. The personal photos are images of German soldiers – mostly officers – taken in the field – some battle scenes, and at a sort of camp or military school. I hope to get these scanned (my scanner does not work), and post them.

Also came across some photos of my Dad during this era – both state-side and in Germany. But the big discovery was the journal my Dad constructed after-the-fact. According to my Mom, he decided later in life to write down his war memories as best he could recall – before he forgot them. She tells me that he had almost completed the work, but tore it all up and started over again. She doesn’t know why he did that.

I plan to type these memories up. It’d be nice to be able to post some memories with the pictures – but don’t expect anything real soon.

Comments

Popular Posts