How I Spent my Birthday Money

With special thanks to the Hobbled mother-in-law, here’s an accounting of how I spent my birthday gift money.

Two of the purchases were “blog recommended”:

After reading a recent post by Anecdotal Evidence, I ordered a book of poetry by A.E. Stallings. Mr. Evidence recommends Hapax but I ordered another by mistake, Archaic Smile, - oh well.

Hobbled Runner says: Very nice, accessible poems. I’ll be the first to admit that I don’t know a lick about poetry. I enjoy poems for very selfish reasons – they are (usually) short, and the good ones can quickly transport you “away” if even for a brief moment. At the end of the day – the only time I ever have to read – a short poem often hits the literary spot – rather than a book that requires pages or chapters of reading for me to “get in-to”.

From Terry Teachout at About Last Night, – see right pane “Top 5” Picks.

 CD: Songs of Ned Rorem (Other Minds). The fabulously rare 1964 Columbia LP of Rorem’s best songs, now on CD for the very first time. They’re all here: “Early in the Morning,” “My Papa’s Waltz,” “Visits to Saint Elizabeth’s,” “The Lordly Hudson,” and two dozen others, selected and accompanied by the composer and sung to perfection by Charles Bressler, Phyllis Curtin, Gianna d’Angelo, Donald Gramm, and Regina Sarfaty. Get this one right now (TT).

Hobbled Runner says: Very "interesting" – but I think I may need to “grow into” this one.

The final CD I ordered was one I heard on KFAI – Nachito Herrera, Live at the Dakota 2.

Hobbled Runner says: Two thumbs up.

Thanks to the Dude and his appreciation for “different” music I’m open to newer sorts of music. [Side note, the Dude’s latest favorite is 5 mile chase.]


--
Speaking of Anecdotal Evidence, he had a great post yesterday about Spring – which seems to have gone into retreat around these parts:

Poets and dullards alike, at least in the North, understand that winter is long, spring is short, and summer shorter – especially for kids in school. That rhythm, that expectation of long endurance and brief reward, becomes second nature and takes on an allegorical quality in our lives.

Comments

Popular Posts