Don't Feed the Monkeys!


Today I began physical therapy for my right hand/wrist. The injury probably stems from a combination of keyboard stress and an airport travel injury – I recall hurting my hand when grabbing luggage off the baggage carousel in January. The PT tested my hand grip strength using a Hydraulic Hand Dynamometer. Some measures showed that the injured hand/wrist was a lot “weaker”. She assured me that it wasn’t weaker (didn’t want to hurt my big male ego), it was just that my body was reacting to protect the damaged tendons.

The PT was an interesting lady – just back from a motorcycle trip through Morocco. There she was spit on and pelted with rocks by locals – not because she was American, the cycle touring outfit often has European clients – just because she was not one of them. She was assured by the guides; it’s just something they do (spit/throw rocks). She didn’t take it personally. Another funny story: at Gibraltar, a monkey climbed on the back of her motorcycle (Don’t feed the monkeys!), it whacked her hard upside the head. She said it hurt even though she ducked somewhat and was wearing a helmet.

Comments

Popular Posts